Sunday, February 21, 2010

To be continued, I hope

The plan was to go to another church, but the car was running real rough, so we went here at ELWA. Back home some people show up late for church, here pretty much everyone does. When the service started it was less than half full, there were only 4 choir members there. after about a hour the place was full and the choir was about 10 strong. A couple noticeable differences about worship here, the energy level is higher, and there are more men attending than women. The service lasted about 2 hours. We were early enough to get seats close to a working fan, there are lots of fans, but only about half work. It didn't do me much good anyway, I was soaking wet in no time. One of the electrical team was behind me sweating almost as much as I was. He said that it surprised him, he was from Mississippi and used to hot humid weather.
After church the plan was to visit one of the orphanages, but the car problems changed that. D'Linda and I took a walk on the beach, a dip in the ocean, did some reading and took a nap, a perfect Sunday afternoon.
A few Liberian boys came by and borrowed the soccer ball, some others borrowed the basketball and one came for a boogie board. There were a couple who came by and used the computer.
Patrick, one of Rusty's plumbers, came by to ask if we would consider paying for him to finish high school. He is 21 and currently taking night classes, he has about a year and a half left to complete high school, then he would like to go on to college. Night school takes longer to complete than regular school, Patrick said that often he goes and the teacher doesn't show up. If he does switch to regular school he couldn't work, but it would take him less time to finish.
Rusty just came and asked me if I would drive the car to the mechanic this morning. One of the other missionary was taking a truck in so he said I could follow him. Jamie felt sorry for me so she said she would ride along. Alright, another new experience. If you don't hear from me again it's been exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Never a dull moment! Thank you Jack for your entries. I had not heard of the California incident thank you for bringing it to our attention, as we will add that situation to our daily prayer.

    ReplyDelete