Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Good times

After I finished my blog yesterday I asked if anyone wanted to run on the beach. Colton said he did and we went for a nice run/walk. I love spending time with the boys individually, they each have different perspectives and senses of humor. We saw the fishermen going out and a number of jellyfish. Colton estimated 30 to 40, I say maybe 30. Because we saw so many we decided not to cool down in the ocean.
After breakfast I decided to make the allegedly dead rooster into the actually dead rooster. It's been a while since I butchered chickens, but I guess it's like riding a bike. Kobe wanted to help, in fact he said he wanted to chop the head off, but when it came time he declined. The cutlass (machete) that Poppy had sharpened wasn't that sharp, or the blade was not smooth anyway it took a few whacks to get the job done. Felicia, Rusty and Jamie's house help, she comes on Monday, Wednesday and Friday to clean, do laundry and cook, came about then and said "thank you grandpa" for butchering the chicken. She calls D'Linda grandma also. Missionaries are expected to hire some help. Felicia cooks the dinner on the days she works, so they get authentic Liberian food. She put the rooster in the pumpkin soup for dinner, but she said she had to cook it extra long because of how tough he was. After chewing for a while I agreed, but he was organic I'm sure.
Kobe said that he had wanted to go running with me, so I went again. We ran down to the fishermen again. When we were about 200 yds from the finish Kobe said he wanted to race, so I was trying to figure a way that I could beat him, but he was watching me close. Then a miracle happened, he spotted a shell, the kind that grandma likes. We stopped and found quite a few, when we had most of them picked up I pointed one more out to him and when he went to pick it up I took off. Through shouts of "unfair" and "cheater" he tried to catch up, but with my jump and an arm load of shells he couldn't. Treachery triumphs again! We decided to cool down in the ocean, even with the threat of jellyfish, we had to wash the sand off of the shells. When we got back D'Linda was excited about the shells and had to go to see if she could find more. Jamie and Blessing went with her.
Christopher was doing math, I sat next to him and asked some questions. We started doing problems together. The boys are pretty much minimalists when it comes to school work, especially math. Christopher has a workbook that he uses, his practice is to do the problems he has to do, which are the odd numbered ones, and he skips the lesson and the practice problems. He does quite a bit of guessing. We started working through all of the problems and really had a good time, so much so that he did a few lessons ahead. We did some with negative numbers and I had to look at the answer book to remember how.
I had a great morning getting to spend time with each of the boys individually.
Rusty had another fuel day. Kobe and I walked up to the shop while they were delivering the fuel. Steve and Mel were there also, the fuel looked like mud puddle water. Steve took a sample so he could have it tested. As much trouble as they have keeping generators running they don't need dirty fuel, but there is little you can do.
Rusty told us he would be late tonight. He had to go with Kedrick, the director of ELWA, to take an autoclave to another hospital. They had a new autoclave here that they couldn't use because it was a different voltage than what they generate. As it turns out the other hospital got an autoclave that didn't match their voltage but would work here.
Dr Sacra stopped by after dinner, D'Linda asked if he was on call and he said he was and that he was expecting a rough night. He said the OB ward was full when he left. I asked him how many babies are delivered here. He said that it is pretty consistent at 110-120 per month. He said that they do a higher than average number as c-sections. Many women deliver at home so the ones that come here tend to be the problem ones. He said he was at JFK hospital today, teaching a class, when a bunch of new equipment came in from an organization called Hospitals of Hope(HoH). Rusty told me later that HoH was donating over a million dollars worth of equipment there. That is where the autoclave came from.
I asked Rusty about Uriah, he kept saying he hadn't heard anything. I don't know if your familiar with the bible story, it is in 2 Samuel chapter 11. It is a story that could be a great movie. It is about an honorable man and has loyalty, deceit, conspiracy, betrayal, violence and sex involved. It could be a current political story, except for the honorable part. It shows that the good guys don't always win. Back to our Uriah, Rusty finally heard that he was leaving the Ministry of Finance last night at 8:00 after spending another day there. He had the signed documents and was going to try and get the packages today. This is getting to be like those old serials, you'll have to tune in tomorrow to see what befalls our hero...

No comments:

Post a Comment