Sunday, February 6, 2011

The R V life

We are in Liberty Hill Texas. We spent three days in Tucson, it was pretty cold, but it was colder to the east so we were waiting out the weather. We probably would have stayed one more night there, but they had someone coming in for our space and didn't have anymore spaces available. We left there on Thursday and went as far as Las Cruses NM. We stopped there because it looked like it was going to be colder if we went on. The TV news said that they had just broken there all time coldest record by 15 degrees. We left there Friday morning and as we were going through El Paso we heard a loud bang and a side panel of the RV was loose and banging on the side of the motorhome. We got off of the Interstate and made it to a Lowe's. The fiberglass panel was one that covered the area around the rear wheels and was only held on by double back foam tape. I got some tape and put it back together, the panel had a couple of cracks in it and I didn't want it to happen again so I added some screws. While fixing it I realized that I had a flat tire on my inside rear dual. Luckily there was a tire store across the street, unluckily they couldn't service my size tire. They recommended a truck tire store up the road. It wasn't far, but without GPS I don't think we could have found it. They were very helpful, the tire had a big cut in the side wall so we had to buy a new one. The only model they had in the size we needed was a top of the line $390 one. That was only the latest of our RVing experiences. When we left home our backup camera quit working, and on the way down we had trouble with automatic step, and it quit altogether just before we got to Yuma. I'm long legged, so it didn't really bother me, but D'Linda was a different story. I waited until we got to Casa Grande to try and fix it. In the process of trying to fix it I broke a switch, and couldn't figure out why it wouldn't work. I had to call a professional. He determined that the step motor had burnt out, but he couldn't figure out why the camera didn't work. He suggested calling Winnebago. He had to order a new motor for the step and said it would be a couple of days. There was a RV store across town so I rode my bike there to get a replacement switch, they didn't have one in stock so it had to be ordered. In the mean time I was trying to figure out why the hot water heater wouldn't work on electric, only gas, I found a corroded wire that when I wiggled it, it broke, now the hot water heater wouldn't work on gas either. I rode back to the RV store and they had the part I needed, but it came as a larger assembly, $42 later I was riding back. The step motor came in and when that was replaced it was just under $500. I called Winnebago and got a very helpful man who told me I needed to replace the fuse for the step alarm, that was for the backup camera and a fan I didn't know I had, and as far as I know there is no step alarm. Anyway that worked and the camera is working fine, the man told me that if I switched the mystery fan on it would probably blow the fuse again. At least that didn't cost me much, just a 15 amp fuse. We were talking to our repairman and asked him what brand of motorhome was best and he said none of them. He said he would never own one, he just rents them and gives them back, and he doesn't tell them what he does fore a living. He might have a point, oh did I mention our windshield has developed a couple big cracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment