Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Getting Bored

Last time I updated you we were just leaving Houston. We did leave and spent a night just east of Baton Rouge, then on to Pensacola. We spent a couple days there with some friends we met last year in Israel. It was fun to see Roy and Tracy and their girls, their older daughter, Lea Hannah attends Alabama, but she was home for the weekend so we got to see her. The younger daughter, Mary Willis, said she was going to come and help me hay this summer. After I told her that I hirer high school boys to help me she said she was coming for sure. D'Linda and I really like the girls, they are just so much fun to be around.
We have been at a RV park just east of Pensacola for the last 3 days. The beaches here are white, when we were driving along it looked like it had snowed. The weather has been nice, mid 60's and clear. We went to a Valentines dinner here last night and they had an oldie weds game that we won. We went for a bike ride today, but the road in front of the resort is real busy and not really bike friendly. I am getting bored. We have one more stop before we head back, Koinonia Farm in Americus Georgia.
When I was in Houston I went to a book store with Gregg. I saw a book that's title caught my eye "True Religion". I read the jacket and the author grew up as a missionary kid in Liberia, where we visited Rusty last year, so I had to buy it. I liked the book, it goes along with the way I have been thinking lately. Palmer Chichen, the author leads groups overseas a couple of times a year. When he isn't overseas he pastors a church in Chandler AZ called "The Grove", I'm hoping that it will work out to visit there on the way back. This is just the latest in a series of books that have changed my thinking over the last couple of years. I read "Radical" by David Platt at the start of this trip. Just before we left I read "Resident Aliens" by Hauerwas and Willimon. Last year "Mere Discipleship" by Lee Camp turned me towards pacifism. Before that "Humanity: The Moral History of The Twentieth Century" by Jonathan Glover got me thinking about how stupid man really is. The modern world really hasn't done anything to turn people towards God. In fact it has turned people away, we think science can figure everything out. Here in the US we are more concerned with our comfort and possessions than people who are oppressed and starving. I write this from the comfort of my motorhome on the Gulf Coast in Florida. Maybe I can gain some insight at the Koinonia Farm, or on the drive back. I sure hope so, cause like I said I'm bored, just relaxing in the RV isn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment