Friday, March 5, 2010

Moving on

We're packing up just about to leave San Sebastian. We have had a nice stay. Yesterday we went to the Rizola Museum of Cement, I almost missed it. Those of you that know me well, know that I love concrete. D'Linda spotted it in one of the tourist brochures so of course we had to go. It was a little anti climatic. They had a portion shut down for renovation and they didn't have much in English, but I'm still glad we went. If I had found out about it after we left I would have felt cheated.
There are some real differences here, some I like and some not so much. In the not so much category is the schedule of things. Generally stores and businesses open between 9:00 and 10:00 and shut down for lunch between 2:00 and 5:00. I mean shut down, they lock up and turn the lights out. Then they reopen until about 9 or 10, except for the restaurants. They don't open until 1 or 2, so if you want to eat lunch at the correct time of noon you are out of luck. Then they close at around 5 and don't reopen until 7:30 or 8. They eat a large leisurely lunch and a late dinner, it doesn't fit my schedule at all. We did have a traditional lunch yesterday, it consists of a 3 course meal. They give you choices of each course and include wine with the meal for a set price. Our waitress didn't speak English so it was fun making our selections. For one of the choices she said "Moo" and motioned like she had a tail, that is what I chose. D'Linda chose something about a pig. My ox tail was good and D'linda's pork roll was excellent, she said. D'Linda had a salad and I had a rice and clam and mussel dish with a chunk of fish on it. It tasted like a solid clam chowder, they were excellent and the deserts were too.
In the like column, I had said everything is more expensive, but I have modified my thinking a little. The price you see is the price you pay. All taxes and fees are included in the advertised price. Tips are not expected either, so it is really not that much more expensive.
I also like that times are are based on a 24 hour clock. That helps with confusion on trains and planes and business hours.
Well we have to leave for the train station to go back to Madrid. We will stay there tonight and leave for Tel Aviv on Sunday morning. We will probably be out of touch until we arrive there.
One last note, my mom said in an email to D'Linda that she didn't want to post a comment on my blog because it might embarrass me. Well she has known me longer than anyone else and she could probably embarrass me, but just posting won't mom. That goes for all of you, please comment every once in a while just so I know someone is there. Thanks to those that have, I enjoy the comments.
Next report from Israel.

2 comments:

  1. Ok Jack, part of what I told D'Linda is that I really appreciate the way your mind works, and I have given your blog address to quite a few people who ask for it, and I know you are being read by a lot of people. You have ways of relating God into our relationships with others, especially the children. Also, I appreciate that you notice all the interesting aspects of your experiences, and pass them off to me. I won't get to go where you go, so reading what you write is the next best thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jack, it was a real pleasure having you and D'Linda stay with us this past week. We hope you ejoyed your time here and wish you safe travels through Isreal and back home to the States. Hopefully you'll avoid getting Owen's cough or, more importantly, any African parasites. Thanks also for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I look forward to hearing your thoughts from the Holy Lands.

    ReplyDelete